Friday, June 25, 2010

Friday Fundamental

Every Friday I will be posting about something I am ordinarily too afraid to mention but frequently encounter. Friday Fundamental will consist of a funny or annoying grammar or spelling error I have come across during the previous week. I do not correct people when they make these mistakes, because it is rude, but sometimes I get really really pissed off. Other times I crack up completely. I need a place where I can be a snob and not upset the offending (and therefore offended) parties. Also, I think it will be fun.

I should mention, I will (generally) not be targeting people like myself, who make stupid and silly errors out of distraction or being too hurried. I make mistakes like this all the time, and I am not a hypocrite. Typos are also (except in cases of extreme humor) exempt. No, I will be looking for multiple and chronic offenders. I will also be seeking out professional gaffes, because you KNOW 20 people had to pass on it and yet NO ONE noticed an error. This may include a marketing scheme or ad that makes absolutely no sense.

Your submissions are welcome! Feel free to post a link in the comments.

This week: Reading things out loud

Sometimes we our so far into our head we don't take the time to read things out loud. This is important when dealing with words that are spelled close to similar words, but with different form or meaning.

I came across the following example in the local paper, and it gave me a good chuckle. I've altered the image slightly so the company won't sue, but I think you'll appreciate the sentiment.



Misuse of ellipses aside, if you just read this outloud even in the foggiest state you should be able to get the mistake. The ad was smack in the middle of a story I was reading and kept going down with me as I scrolled, so it was getting on my nerves. The annoyance forced me to read it (THE HORROR!) and that's when I got a good chuckle.

I am such a nerd.

No comments:

Post a Comment