Thursday, August 26, 2010

Finding a Rhythym

Just when I thought I had the hang of this whole thing. Tuesdays and Wednesdays suck. I don't know whose genius idea it was to put four out of five of my classes on Wednesday, but I'm not a fan. I start at 9am and go all the way until 4:10. I have a one hour break in between. This means my Tuesday sucks, because I have to study between classes and most of the night. Wednesday sucks, because I don't have time between all the classes to get reading for Thursday done. And, since we have a class for days in a row, it's not like I can read more than one day ahead of time, it just wouldn't work.

Here is what it looks like:
(T=Torts M=Legal Methods C=Contracts P=Civil Proced. R=Legal Research)







Monday T Big Break
C

Tuesday M Big Break
C

Wednesday T 0 break P C 0 break R
Thursday T 0 break P


Friday M
P



As you can see I have Civil Procedure and Contracts three days in a row, and Torts nearly three days in a row. The Legal Methods/Research course I think I can handle cramming for, but CivPro, Torts and Contracts are pretty brutal and require a lot of focus. Arlene came up with a great study schedule for herself and I am going to try to do the same. It's sort of tough doing it with technology, I long for one of those big desktop calendars you can color on with markers or pencil etc. Of course I can get one for my office, but that won't help me much since I'm trying to do as much studying at school as possible. I am not sure how well that is going to work, we'll have to see. It's frustrating because people talk so much and so loudly, even in the library. I know things will quiet down once people are all caught up. "HOW WAS YOUR SUMMER!! OMG!!!!"

Ugh. I swear 2 and 3L's don't remember what their first week was like or you'd think they'd shut the hell up. Not that I'm bitter.

I am quite enjoying class, although a couple of my professors scare the hell out of me. I've spoken in class a few times. Only 2/5 professors are staunch socratics, so that's nice. I enjoy it to a point and I'm not that scared about when it's my turn, but I can't stand sitting there squirming while someone else gets grilled. Same reason I can't watch The Office; I over-empathize. *cringe*

I see now why people "gun." I don't think it's their ego, I think it's because they want to get the guy being grilled to get the right answer so we can all stop being so uncomfortable.

I think Contracts may be my favorite class. I did NOT see that one coming.

2 comments:

  1. My contracts prof was a hardass socratic type and he was going after a friend of mine who just had knee surgery, hadn't been sleeping, and just came back after missing two classes. I don't think he realized all that, to be fair to him, it was just her 'turn.' Anyway, after enduring for about a minute, I just raised my hand and asked him to call on me instead, that she'd just had surgery. He still says it was the strangest and nicest thing he'd ever seen in a law classroom.

    Yeah. over-empathize. Got that.

    Then again, although I tried not to be a gunner, I did participate...

    ReplyDelete
  2. My contracts prof scared the crap out of me. And he ended up being a great friend. Strange how these things happen. Although, you should really start abbreviating Contracts as K because that's how it's done and it'll make your notes a lot shorter.

    ReplyDelete