Monday, August 2, 2010

I Want to Quit the Gym!

When we moved across the street we decided we should probably cancel our cable. So I called in to see what sort of deals they could give us, and they talked me into staying. Not too difficult, as I sort of figured we could just cancel later. Then the following things happened and pushed me to cancel.

1. For one month straight, we almost never used the cable TV. When we did, it was to play Mickey Mouse for Abby in the morning.
2. They screwed up my billing and charged me two late fees I didn't deserve.
3. They charged us 40 for installation and didn't disclose it beforehand.
4. Our bill was supposed to go from 120 a month to around 80 a month with the promo they were giving us, but instead went up to 170.

So, we hauled our cable box and remote (did you know they charge you 25 cents a month to rent THE REMOTE) and told them we wanted to shut off our cable but keep our internet. The girl looked at me and told me I would be charged a 14.00 fee for downgrading and the price of my internet would go up to 52 a month. I said fine.

She smiled and said "Let me see if I can get you a promo deal."

BAM! $19.99 a month for 6 months. NICE! So we went down from 170 to 20!

NICE. And we don't miss the TV at all!

Now I just have to figure out how to change banks. I have so many things set to come out automatically. Sure, I can turn off the auto-pay and set it up with the new bank information. In the meantime, I have no idea what account things will come out of or when. Companies are so unreliable when you have to make changes, but things have been running so smooth for so long. But, my bank is getting really annoying. They keep trying to sell me crap when I just want to make a deposit. They close down my online banking username with no explanation, then when I call they're all "Oh, I don't see any problems, try it again." and of course it works fine. Which means the person checked a box and reactivated it, then lied about it. (A proven call center technique to avoid conflict.) Stupid bank.

* I try not to be a conspiracy theorist, but I did post a reply to an article about my bank and their annoying upsell practices recently. The same day my online access was cut off. Coincidence?

No comments:

Post a Comment